On to the third part of how I built an electric guitar. Now that the assembly is done, the stringing is next to make a playable instrument. Stringing itself is nothing special so far for someone already playing guitars regularly. Nevertheless, with the strings that came with the kit I made a really ambarassing mistake: By setting my tuning device in a wrong pitch somehow, I tried to tune the lower strings that high, that the d-string broke and the e- and a-strings were under pretty high tension.
The kit comes with a wooden guitar body already prepared for painting. So my first task is to get some basic colour on it. Here I have chosen a plain white as the basic colour with the idea to further add some handmade drawings.
First step was to mask the parts I do not want to get coloured with some tape as seen above. For painting I used a simple spray paint from the local hardware store. After a first session the result was not that even and too much of the wood structure was still visible. Continue reading “Project Guitar Kit SG Style – Part 1: Painting”